Collection Development Policy
The purpose of the Levi E. Coe Library is to offer materials and services for the educational, informational and recreational needs of people of all ages within the community.
A. The Levi E. Coe Library selects materials in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read and the Freedom to View statements.
B. The selection of materials will be done by the Director, Assistant Director and Children’s Librarian as well as any approved library staff.
III. Selection Criteria
When selecting material for the Levi E. Coe Library collection the library will use the
same standards and criteria as the other departments within the library.
The Levi E. Coe Library will purchase fiction titles to cover a broad range of interests, reading levels and patron demand.
The Levi E. Coe Library will purchase materials that are up-to-date with accurate information and will also be purchased to cover a broad range of interests and reading levels.
IV. Controversial Materials
The Levi E. Coe Library abides by the American Library Association’s guidelines as put forth by the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read and the Freedom to View statements. Copies of these statements will be given upon request.
The Levi E. Coe Library will accept gifts of materials in good condition. The library reserves the right to discard or sell in their book sale any materials that are not added to the collection.
VI. Collection Maintenance
As materials become worn or outdated, the Levi E. Coe Library will discard and/or update the titles in its collection.
*Revised October 2007
Book Donation Policy
1) The Levi E. Coe Library welcomes donations of books and media materials that are gently used and in good condition. Materials donated to the library will not be returned to the donor.
2) The Levi E. Coe Library reserves the right to add donated items to its collection, sell the items, or dispose of the items at its discretion.
3) Materials that are added to the Levi E. Coe Library collection will be classified and shelved according to standard library cataloging procedures. The Library reserves the right to decide when these donated items will be withdrawn from the collection.
4) The Levi E. Coe Library reserves the right to limit, decline, or suspend donations for a specified period of time due to storage or other issues as designated by the Board of Directors. Additionally, advanced notice of large donations may be required due to limited storage space.
5) Abandoned books and other materials that are not claimed within 90 days may be considered donations to the Levi E. Coe Library, and are subject to the terms as stated in the Book Donation Policy.